[Insight-users] using Mutual Information

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Jan 9 10:50:32 EST 2005

Hi Jose,

Happy New Year !

The registration framework in ITK computes everything
in physical espace, not in pixel space.

1) Are your images 2D ?

2) Are the (x,y) coordinates regular ?
    that is, can they be simply computed as

         (Ox + i * Sx ,  Oy + j * Sy )

    where Ox,Oy is the origin of the image,
    Sx,Sy are the interpixel spacing, and i,j
    are the indices of a particular pixel.

3) Why do you encode in the Z coordinate the
    intensity of the image before normalization ?
    This sounds a bit like an elevation grid....

4) Yes, you can use ITK for registering images
    that have a reduced overlapping region.

We *strongly encourage* you to read the chapter
on image resampling and the chapter on image
registration from the ITK Software Guide

    http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

- Section 6.7 "Geometric Transformations", pdf-page 199.
- Chapter 8   "Image Registration", pdf-page  241-340

   Please let us know if you have further questions,