[Insight-users] Re: DICOM data reading

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jul 12 18:52:37 EDT 2005

Hi Martin,

It is quite common to have multiple DICOM series in
the same directory.  The way to select the series is
therefore to make a first pass to your directory and
to collect the list of series that are present, along
with additional patient information such as name, sex
and age.

In a typical application, this list will be presented
to the user, who will select to read one of the series
from that list.

Once you have a series ID, the series can be passed to
the GDCMSeriesFileNames in order to generate the file
names of only the slices that belong to the selected
series.

All this is described in detail in the ITK Software Guide

      http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

in Chapter 7, "Reading and Writing Images". In particular
in section 7.12.3, in pdf-page 324.

Note that for gathering all the series in a directory
you use the GDCMSeriesFileNames class and pass to it the
directory using the method

                SetDirectory()

Then you get the list of Series IDs with the method

                GetSeriesUIDs()

at this point you present this list to a User, probably
using a GUI, and let the user select the series that
she wants to read. Then you pass that series Id to the
same GDCMSeriesFileNames generator using the method:

               GetFileNames( seriesUID )

The list of filenames is finally passed to the
ImageSeriesReader, and at that point you can trigger
the process of reading all the slices.

The source code example that describes this same process
is available in

          Insight/Examples/IO/
              DicomSeriesReadImageWrite2.cxx

For an example of how this is done in a GUI, please look
at the application developed by the ISIS Center at Georgetown
University, that is available in

        InsightApplications/
                  LiverTumorSegmentation

In the "File" menu of this application you will find an option
for "Load DICOM". This options does what has been described
above.

Please let us know if you have further questions,