[Insight-users] Registration Metric

Lydia Ng lydiang at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 16:56:47 EDT 2005

Hi Dana,

If I understand from your message you are comparing two ways of
computing the metric:

[A] You are computing the metric using the fixed image, the original
moving image and transform with parameters obtain with registration.

[B] You are computing the metric using the fixed image, the resampled
image and a transform with parameters that gives you an identity
transform.

I believe that are at least two causes of the difference in value:

[1] The metric is computed by walking over the whole fixed image. At
each point it computes (fixed_value - moving_value)^2. In [A],
moving_value is obtain by transforming the fixed image point and then
interpolating the moving image. The interpolated value is returned as
a double and the metric retains the precision when it sums things up.
On the other in [B], the moving_value has been truncated to "unsigned
char" in the resampled process.

[2] In the metric calculation, when a mapped position falls out of the
domain of the moving value, that point is not used in the calcuation.
So in [A] some number of boundary points was not used in the
calculation. However, when you resampled the image, you assigned some
value to these boundary points, so in [B] all points are used in the
calculation including those artificially assigned a "default" value.

HTH,
Lydia