[Insight-users] Multi-resolution: different pyramids for fixed and moving images?

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Wed Jul 13 11:44:14 EDT 2005

Yes, I suppose that might be done although I have no clue how it might
affect the registration results themselves.

You could achieve the same with filters too and some extra code using
the PyramidImageFilter to generate pyramids for the fixed image and the
moving image seperately

  // Create a multi-resolution pyramid with shrink factors of 4,2,1
  typedef itk::PyramidImageFilter < FixedImageType, MovingImageType>
PyramidFilterType;
  typename PyramidFilterType::Pointer subsampleFixedImageFilter =
PyramidFilterType::New();
  typename PyramidFilterType::Pointer subsampleMovingImageFilter =
PyramidFilterType::New();
  subsampleFixedImageFilter->SetInput( fixedImage );
  subsampleFixedImageFilter->SetShrinkFactors(4);
  subsampleFixedImageFilter->Update();

  typename FixedImageType::ConstPointer fixedImage =
subsampleFixedImageFilter->GetOutput();
  m_Registration->SetFixedImage( fixedImage );

  // Set initial transform for registration
  // Set other registration paramters.
  // Set Optimizer parameters....
  m_Registration->StartRegistration();

  subsampleFixedImageFilter->SetShrinkFactors(2);
  subsampleFixedImageFilter->Update();
  m_Registration->SetInitialTransformParameters(
      m_Registration->GetLastTransformParameters() );
  m_Registration->StartRegistration();

  // Do this again with Pyramid factors of 1, ie full resolution

  // now get the resulting parameters
  typename RegistrationType::ParametersType finalParameters =