[Insight-users] Mutual Information rotation & translation and the metric value

Seniha Esen Yuksel eseny99 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 01:55:40 EDT 2005

Hi,
I am trying to write a mutual information registration code (Viola Wells)
that implements both centered rotation and translation. Therefore, I tried to combine
the examples ImageRegistration2.cxx (mutual information using translation transform) and ImageRegistration5.cxx  (centeredrigid2D transform using MeanSquaresImageToImageMetric). However, when I run my code to register the given images
BrainProtonDensitySliceBorder20.png and BrainProtonDensitySliceR10X13Y17.png, the angle
values are extremely high (-3007.19) and I couldn't find where the problem is.

Another question is, if I understood correctly, in these examples, we are taking
the final registration parameters as the best values. However, the last metric value
is not necessarily the best metric value, ie. we are not looking for the best metric
that maximizes the mutual information but only taking the last one when we do "finalTransform->SetParameters( finalParameters )".  Please correct me if I misunderstood this part or I would appreciate if you could explain why it was not done as such or how I can do it.

Thank you very much,
Best regards,
Esen

Seniha Esen Yuksel
Research Assistant
Computer Vision and Image Processing Lab,
Lutz Hall Rm 414,
University of Louisville,
Louisville, KY
work ph: 502- 8521528