[Insight-users] [Insight users] itk::SimplexMeshToTriangleMeshFilter not exact ?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Jul 18 16:12:46 EDT 2005

Hi Benoit

Please read the Documentation:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1SimplexMeshToTriangleMeshFilter.html

> This filter converts a 2-simplex mesh into a triangle mesh.
>
> Convert a simplex mesh into a triangle mesh. Therefore the center of
> each simplex cell is computed. These centers are taken as the points
> for the triangle mesh then the points are connected.

So,
What you observe...
is what the filter is supposed to do...

I agree with you however in that sometimes it may be desirable
to move the points along the normals of the triangles. Otherwise
a convertion from Simplex-->Triangle, followed with Triangle-->Simplex
will not return the same Mesh.

The question is:

           "How much to shift along the normal ? "

If you feel audacious, you probably could make this improvement to
the filter, for this just look at the code in

           Insight/Code/BasicFilters/
               itkSimplexMeshToTriangleMeshFilter.txx

in the method Initialize(), in lines 49-55.  You will need the
correction to be made in the values in the containter "m_Centers".

Please let us know if you need help with the changes,

    Thanks,

       Luis