[Insight-users] Tensor Field Interpolation

Michael Hardisty m.hardisty at utoronto.ca
Thu Jul 21 15:36:57 EDT 2005

Hello ITK users,

                        I am currently working with strain tensor field
images.  I essentially have images with pixels that contain within them
a second order tensor, strain.  I wish to smooth the images and resample
the images on to a finer grid.  I am unsure how to work with these
images using ITK.  There does not seem to be any facilities designed to
work with these type of tensor fields.  Could someone please suggest
what features I might use?

I have specific rules as to how the tensors (pixels) should be added and
scalar multiplied.  These rules are the primary reason I think that
these images are not easily processed within ITK.  I was wondering if I
could easily interpolate and resample these images by deriving a class
from the SymmetricSecondRankTensor parent class and redefine the scalar
multiplication and tensor addition and then simply use the existing
resample and smoothing filters and appropriate interpolation functions
to accomplish my task? What I am essentially asking is, can I make a
tensor class that obeys the rules that I have mentioned above and then
use this as a pixel type in a regular image and expect smoothing and
resample image filters to work?

Any help will be much appreciated.  Thanks

--
Michael Hardisty
M.A.Sc Student