[Insight-users] some contributions

Mathieu De Craene decraene at tele.ucl.ac.be
Fri Mar 18 04:04:23 EST 2005

Le jeudi 17 mars 2005 à 09:10 -0500, Blezek, Daniel J (Research) a
écrit :
> Stefan, Marius, Mathieu,
>
>   Excellent.  I liked the try / catch blocks, and the stopping
> criteria in Mathieu's implementation.  Essentially, the code is the
> same across all 3 implementations...  As you would expect from the
> nicely written paper.
>
> - what should be the default values for a, A, C?
>     - I used a=A=c=0.1  (Don't trust my implementation...)
>     - Mathieu uses a=01.6, A = 60(!), C=0.01

In fact, this value should be changed to 0.5 or 1. I used a Set() method
in the main code to change the default value. For rigid registration for
instance, I doubt you will measure anything by changing the translations
coefficients by 0.01 mm ;-)

If the A coefficient is big, it means that the optimizer will make big
steps at the initial iterations.
An idea of the successive trials made by the spsa optimizer in rigid
registration can be seen on this animation :
http://www.tele.ucl.ac.be/~decraene/anims/RIGID.mpeg

I think it is good to keep this parameter big enough if we want to keep
the robust behavior of this optimizer.

>     - Stefan uses a=A=c=1.0
> - Are we OK with Alpha = 0.602, Gamma = 0.101?

I have never experimented other set of values but these work fine for
me !