[Insight-users] SPSA Optimizer

Stefan Klein stefan at isi.uu.nl
Thu Mar 24 05:08:36 EST 2005

Hi Mathieu, Daniel and others,

I put together a new SPSA optimizer, based on the three version that we
had. I also added a Test.

You may download the zip from:
http://www.isi.uu.nl/People/Stefan/

 > - what should be the default values for a, A, C?
 >     - I used a=A=c=0.1  (Don't trust my implementation...)
 >     - Mathieu uses a=01.6, A = 60(!), C=0.01
 >     - Stefan uses a=A=c=1.0
 > - Are we OK with Alpha = 0.602, Gamma = 0.101?

alpha = 0.602 and gamma = 0.101, as J. Spall suggests.

c depends on the amount of noise in your problem and the range of your
parameters, so could by anything. So, 1.0 seemed the most appropriate to me
as a default.

a depends on your specific problem as well, so is set to 1.0 by default.

A is set to 10.0, which is 10% of the default MaximumNumberOfIterations.

The Scales thing gave me quite a headache but I think I did it correct now.
In the .cxx I tried to explain why I did it like i did...

Please let me know what you think about it!

Regards,
Stefan.