[Insight-users] Do RecursiveHessian or RecursiveGaussian require isotropic voxels?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Nov 18 10:12:34 EST 2005

Hi Jerome,

No, the RecursiveGaussian filter does not requires the voxels
to be isotropic.

The RecursiveGaussian filter takes the Pixel size into account.

This means that the computations are performed correctly in
physical units.

The values reported by the RecursiveGaussian and its associated
filters must be interpreted in terms of derivatives with respect
to millimeters.

Note that if what you are doing is multi-scale analysis (and it
sounds like that, since you are searching for the sigma that matches
a particular blob...) then you should use the Normalize along scales
option, which will make possible for you to compare the results from
one scale (sigma) with the results of a different scale (sigma).

---

Just for the record...

What is the size of the Blobs in your experiments in pixels ?
and what is the size of those pixels in millimeters ?

If you find that the behavior of the filter is incorrect, please
post a minimal piece of code that illustrates your point, and if
necessary post an input/output image on a web accessible place.

Best Regards,

    Luis