[Insight-users] DTI data.. can't read

Gordon Kindlmann gk at bwh.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 18 19:38:56 EST 2005

hello,

> Hi Gordon --
>
> I have a question regarding that DTI data you are making available
> through the server at Utah.

(for the interested reader this is here: http://www.sci.utah.edu/~gk/
DTI-data/)

> It seems that the NRRD reader currently in ITK cannot actually read
> this file. More precisely, it seems that the spatial dimensions are
> not correctly separated from the matrix element dimension. Here's a
> printout of the resulting image object that may clarify the issue:

No, ITK can't usefully read that file, other than to see it as a 4-D
volume.  The NRRD0001 version of the format didn't have a way of
tagging axes with the kind of information that was stored along it.
NRRD0004 and NRRD0005 do have this information, and the ITK nrrd
reader goes to some lengths to correctly map the information to
current ITK pixel types.

> Interestingly, when I create a tensor image within ITK and write it
> to a NRRD0004 file, I can read everything fine, so maybe all that's
> needed to fix the issue practically would be if you could come up
> with a header for the file that can be read correctly by what's in
> ITK?

Done, sorry for the delay:
http://www.sci.utah.edu/~gk/DTI-data/gk2/gk2-rcc-mask2.nhdr

Can you make sure this works as expected?

Gordon