[Insight-users] How to use KmeansEstimator class

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Nov 28 09:30:45 EST 2005

Hi Liu,

Please read the ITK Software Guide

  http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

in particular the Statistics Chapter.

---

You will find that the K-Means algorithm is
implemented independently of the data container.
The actual algorithm is executed using a List of
Samples as input.

The K-Means filter that operates over images,
uses an Image to List adaptor that presents
the pixels as a list of measurement vector.

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1Statistics_1_1ImageToListAdaptor.html

If you want to do K-Means on your special data,
you should write an equivalent adaptor. Let's
say a:

           SpecialImageToListAdaptor

Once you have this class, you can take advantage
of the K-Means algorithm built into the Statistics
framework.

For this last step you may want to follow the model
of the filters:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ScalarImageKmeansImageFilter.html

If you write such a class, you should consider
posting it as a Paper to the Insight Journal:

http://www.insightsoftwareconsortium.org/InsightJournal/

so it can recieve reviews from the community, and
eventually be included in the next release of ITK.