[Insight-users] spatial-object to pointset registration (still big problems)

Boettcher, Dr. Peter Boettcher at kleintierklinik.uni-leipzig.de
Mon Oct 3 16:09:30 EDT 2005

Thank you to all how respond to my last email

However I still got stuck developing my spatial-object to point-cloud registration.

I moved to another approach using a spatial object (cylinder) and a point cloud generated by picking points in 3D within vtk.

I convert the point cloud using itkPointSetToImageFilter, getting a binary image of the point cloud, so I can plug it in the model-to-image registration example from the itk book. However, when I look at the resulting image volume within vtk, I get very strange pictures. I think that is due to the parameters: spacing, origin and size, used for the PointSetToImageFilter. This it what I thought it should be:

The volume within vtk I pick the points on is 50mm x 50mm x 50mm. Originally the volume was represented by voxels of 0.25mm x 0.25mm x 0.5mm.

So this is why I choose the following size fore the itkPointSetToImageFilter

50mm/0.25 -> 200 pixel (x)

50mm/0.25 -> 200 pixel (y)

50mm/0.25 -> 100 slices (z)

As for the spacing I took the spacing from the original image volume

0.25 - 0.25 - 0.5.

The origin is defined as (0,0,0), indicating the lower left corner of the volume.

Defining itkPointSetToImageFilter for the registration in the way I did should result in a transformation I could transform directely within my vtk-volume-space (hope so) !?

Unfortunately the filtering of the point cloud to an image volume does not work as I expected.

Maybe someone used a similar approach and can show me how to do it the right way?

Regards, Peter.

PS: does the cylinder spatial object respresents a filled cylinder or does it represent an empty one?