[Insight-users] Normalizing GLCM feature values

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Mon Oct 3 17:46:31 EDT 2005

The theoretical max and min of the features could be calculated
according to the definition of the GLCM (see the documentation for
the class that generates GLCMs, e.g.  http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/
classitk_1_1Statistics_1_1ScalarImageToGreyLevelCooccurrenceMatrixGenera
tor.html ) and the definition of the features themselves (http://
www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/
classitk_1_1Statistics_1_1GreyLevelCooccurrenceMatrixTextureCoefficients
Calculator.html ). Note that the theoretical max and min will depend on:
(1) The pixel type
(2) The number of bins in the GLCM
(3) Whether the GLCM is normalized

and of course, the actual feature values you get may not have a
dynamic range of anywhere *near* the theoretical range, depending on
the images you use, so normalizing the theoretical range to 0-255
might well not buy you very much at all.

A potentially better approach would simply be to get a set of images
of the same type that you plan to use, and to determine the mean and
standard deviation of the feature values for these images. Then use
these values to standardize future feature values. Note that using
means and standard deviations will also be less brittle in this case
than forcing values to be within 0-255, because it allows for the
possibility that atypical images will have feature values beyond
those you observed in the training set.

Without knowing the specifics of your need, I can't say too much, but
I do think that taking the empirical approach to determining the
dynamic range of feature values for images that interest you is best.
If you really need to know the theoretical max and min of the feature
values, the documentation linked above should be sufficient to
calculate it with a half hour's time or so.

Zach Pincus

Program in Biomedical Informatics and Department of Biochemistry
Stanford University School of Medicine