[Insight-users] MultiResolution with LevelSetMotionRegistrationFilter

Martin Urschler martin at urschler.info
Fri Oct 14 04:20:02 EDT 2005

Stefanie Nowak wrote:

 > Hallo,
 >

 > I try to combine the itkLevelSetMotionRegistrationFilter with the
itkMultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter to accelerate the registration process.

 > For the first level this works quite fine, but in the next level
after invoking the update of the LevelSetMotionRegistrationFilter, I get
a RegionOfInterestException in the itkDataObject.

 > To my opinion the problem is that I try to start the registration
with the deformation field of the coarser level as an initial
deformation for the finer level.

hi

did you upsample the deformation field of the coarser level before you
put it into the finer level? the deformation field needs to have the
same size as the fixed image...
you don't write anything about that.
remember that, in contrast to the rigid case where you initialize the
finer level with the transform parameters of the coarser level, the
nonlinear registration case stores its transform in the deformation
field itself which has to be upsampled accordingly between scales

regarding to this issue i also have a small question to the community:
what do you think of upsampling 3d deformation fields using the
VectorLinearInterpolate? As far as i understood it
VectorLinearInterpolate just does a linear interpolate for each
coordinate which is imho not quite correct, instead some sort of
quaternion interpolation would be necessary for the 3d case to be
correct, wouldn't it?
I know this doesn't fit into the nD framework, but I just wanted to ask
if everyone is using the VectorLinearInterpolate for multi-resolution
deformable registration?

regards,
Martin