[Insight-users] Suitable parameters for Level set algorithms needed.

Iván Macía imacia at vicomtech.es
Tue Oct 18 04:50:29 EDT 2005

Hi Philippe,

The values you have to choose for the different filters depending totally of
your application. For example, you don't mention anything about your data
(image type, modality, what are you trying to segment, etc). Please,
understand that setting all the parameters for the different filters in the
itk Level Set examples at once without understanding their influence in
order to obtain a good segmentation is like trying to choose some words
randomly and pretend they make sense together.

I would recommend you to run the examples in the itk Software Guide with the
data used there, trying to understand the effect and purpose of the
different filters/parameters. For this you don't need to know how the
differential equation evolves under the hood. The Software Guide will give
you a general understanding. There, it is explained for example how a good
feature image or an initial Level-Set should look like (maybe you have
already done this).

You can also run some of the programs in InsightApplications (i.e.
ShapeDetectionLevelSet application) that may give you a better visual
feedback on what is going on when you change the value of a certain
parameter.  Then try to reproduce that behaviour with you own data, step by
step. For example a bad feature image will give you a bad segmentation
result no matter the parameters you use in the Level-Set filter itself.
Then, if you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Hope that helps

Iván

__________________________________
Ivan Macia Oliver