[Insight-users] question about distance map

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 19 15:39:50 EDT 2005

Hello -

First off, make sure to cc the ITK list so that others might also be
able to help you.

Second, note that technically you don't need to provide a full "level
set" image to the algorithm to start. While the signed distance map
of the thresholded input is good, you could technically just pass the
thresholded input (provided the "inside value" is less than the
"outside value") as the initial level set, and set the "level set
value" member variable to the number halfway between the inside and
outside values. (If this doesn't make sense, it is worth meditating
on, and if still not, asking for more details.)

Nevertheless, the fact remains that you think there's a problem with
the initial level set, which is to say a problem with the initial
conditions you are passing to the geodesic active contour level sets
algorithm. Without getting two far into the details, it's important
to provide good initial conditions for the geodesic active contours
level sets method: while the initial level set needn't be completely
inside the object to be segmented, it needs to be close enough to get
"sucked in" to the image edges via the advection term. If you can't
generate such an initial segmentation, consider (a) generating an
initial level set completely outside of the bone, and setting the
"reverse propagation direction" (or whatever; consult the doxygen)
flag, or (b) more advanced methods (such as providing your own speed
image that is negative outside of the bone, causing level sets in
outside regions to "shrink" back to the bone area).

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that "it works better"
without the signed distance map. What, precisely, are you providing
as the initial level set in that case?

Of course, the input is but one of many parameters that can be tuned
to make the geodesic level sets algorithm work better: there's the
parameters of the class itself, plus all of the parameters of the
preprocessing steps. I suggest that you look at each of the output
images of these steps to ensure that the features that are meaningful
to your needs are the ones getting hilighted by the preprocessing.
Otherwise it's all a waste of time.

Zach