[Insight-users] bison.exe: m4: No such file or directory

Charl P. Botha cpbotha at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 15:56:42 EDT 2005

Dear list,

I get the following error message:
"bison.exe: m4: No such file or directory"
when I attempt to build the ITK-2-2 branch from CVS on Windows XP SP2
with Visual Studio .NET 2003.  My bison.exe and m4.exe are from the
gnuwin32 collection[1] and they are both in the PATH.

This happens during the parsing of "parser.y" (I'm building with
Python wrappings, in this case Python 2.4.1 with win32all; CableSwig
is checked out in my Utilities directory).  However, if I copy and
paste the build command from the build log, in my case:

C:\> C:\apps\GnuWin32\bin\bison.exe -y -d -o
C:/build/Insight-VS71/Utilities/CableSwig/SWIG/Source/CParse/parser.c
c:/build/Insight/Utilities/CableSwig/SWIG/Source/CParse/parser.y

it successfully builds the parser.  I can then continue the build in
MS .NET and all seems well.

Somehow it seems that when bison.exe is invoked from within MS .NET
2003, it fails to invoke m4.exe.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Charl

[1] http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

--