[Insight-users] Re: [Insight-developers] Active shape models & LTI

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Oct 24 16:37:38 EDT 2005

Hi Alex,

There is where the gray area stars with Patents, and that's
why Patent Attorneys will have job security for a long time.  :-)

When is that a modification of an idea becomes a new and
independent idea ?

The bottom line is that greediness for patenting *everything*
is leaving us without a public space for further developing
technologies.

---

Thanks for pointing us to the LTI-Lib project developed at the
RWTH-Aachen University. I wasn't familiar with this library.

By looking at its documentation page
http://ltilib.sourceforge.net/doc/html/index.shtml

It seems to have a nice architecture and a use of modern
C++ features, including Generic Programming.  It has a nice
well presented documentation, based on Doxygen.

It is great to see other efforts on the front of providing
Open Source tools for image processing.

My only concern with the library is that it is distributed
under the viral GPL license, which for practical purposes
may discourage its use by a significant number of users.

It would be interesting to exchange ideas with the developers
and users of this library in order to identify features that
we may want to bring into ITK.  Are you in contact in any way
with the developer's team ?

   Please let us know,