[Insight-users] reading just one slice of the dicom series

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Oct 24 22:31:42 EDT 2005

Hi ilker,

If you have the DICOM slices you can directly
load the slice that you want as a 2D image
and directly run a segmentation on it.

In fact you should be able to run most of the
examples in Insight/Examples/Segmentation
directly on the slice of your choice.

2D Dicom slices can be read into ITK the same
way that you read a JPEG or a PNG image.
Just pass the filename of the selected DICOM
slice file to the command line arguments of
the segmentation example that you want to try.

You should read the ITK Software Guide,

   http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

in particular, the chapters on

   *  "Reading and Writing Images"
   * "Image Segmentation"

The Software Guide is the detailed description
of all the Examples in the toolkit.