[Insight-users] segmenting dicom images

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Oct 24 22:38:32 EDT 2005

Hi ilker,

You should use native 3D methods.

Using slice by slice 2D segmentation is a primitive
and outdated approach for segmentation. ITK allows
you to segment N-Dimensional images. (3D, 4D, 5D...)

In order to visualize your image (and the segmentation
you can use VTK.

Or you could also use available applications such as

       VolView       www.volview.com
       Paraview      www.paraview.org
       SCIrun        www.scirun.org
       Slicer        www.slicer.org
       SNAP          InsightApplications/SNAP
       ImageViewer   InsightApplications/ImageViewer

Examples on how to connect ITK and VTK are available at

       InsighApplications/Auxiliary/vtk
           itkReadITKImage3DSegmentShowVTK.cxx
           itkReadITKImageSegmentShowVTK.cxx
           itkReadITKImageShowSplineVTK.cxx
           itkReadITKImageShowVTK.cxx

and you should also read the tutorials

    http://www.itk.org/HTML/Tutorials.htm

in particular

               "Using ITK with VTK"
http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStarted-II.pdf

You can also perform segmentation with existing applications
available in InsightApplications, such as

          SNAP
          RegionGrowing
          FastMarchingLevelSet
          GeodesicActiveContours