[Insight-users] questions about the 3D image registration using OnePlusOneEvolutionary Optimizer with mattesMI metric

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Mon Oct 31 10:42:54 EST 2005

LiuYuanJie wrote:

> Hi,everyone. I want to implement a function which can do the
> registration of 2 3d images.
>
> I use oneplusoneevolutionary optimizer and use mattes metric.
>
> Maybe I set some parameters wrong so that i can't get a perfect
> result. (In fact,when I choose 2 same image and firstly do some
> transforms and rotations on the first image and do registration with
> the second image.The result is still similar to my initial parameters
> instead of 0.
>
> Someone told me that maybe the cause is that the StepLength of the
> optimizer is too small. But it seems that the oneplusoneevolutionary
> optimizer does not have a method which sets value to steplength or I
> don't know how to use.

The equivalent set of parameters here are the shrink and growth factors.
The optimizer throws random samples in a search radius and tries to hone
in on a solution. Please take a look at

"Evaluation of 2D/3D bias correction with 1+1ES-optimization" Martin
Styner, Prof. Dr. G. Gerig (IKT, BIWI, ETH Zuerich), TR-197
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~styner/docs/StynerTR97.pdf <http://www.cs.unc.edu/%7Estyner/docs/StynerTR97.pdf>

> So I wonder someone can tell me how to set the parameter correctly so
> that i can get a much better result.
>
> Listed below are my codes of optimizer and metric:
>
> optimizer->SetNormalVariateGenerator(generator);
> optimizer->Initialize(10);
> optimizer->SetEpsilon(0.5);
> optimizer->SetGrowthFactor(-100);
> optimizer->SetMaximumIteration(4000);

It does not make sense for the growth factor to be -100. The growth
factor is usually slightly greater than 1. A typical value may be 1.01
The shrink factor is by default set to pow( growth_factor, -.25 ).

Please take a look at the reference.