[Insight-users] Watershed and Image J

Ken Urish ken.urish at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 13:13:31 EDT 2005

Hey

Im trying to put some code together to do a watershed similar to ImageJ.

In ImageJ's watershed method:
1) A euclidean distance map of the binary image is created.
2) The "Ultimate Points" of the map is then created by eroding an object
until only one pixel remains. One object can have multiple "ultimate points"
(think overlapping circles).
3) The image is then dilated from each of these points until : a) it hits
the original object boundary or b) it hits the dilation of another object.
In case b, a one-pixel wide boundary of background color seperates the
colliding dilating objects. Essentially this is a nice way to seperate two
overlapping circles.

I dont have alot of experience with Watershed in ITK.
Im using the DanielssonDistanceMap to create the distance map. Is there a
convienent way to get the ultimate points of the image? This information
looks like its stored in one of the watershed classes, but I cant quite see
where. Does ITK have a filter that will flood fill from a point until it
hits another dilating object or the initial boundary edge?

Is there an easier way to do this? If anyone can help me out, the first
round is on me at MICCAI.

Thanks
--Ken--