[Insight-users] 3D image registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Sep 8 18:53:53 EDT 2005

Hi Grace,

The registration framework of ITK will manage images with non-isotropic
spacing. The registration process is fully done in physical coordinates,
so it is immune to the various spacings of your datasets.

You may want to read details on this in the Image Registration Chapter
of the ITK Software Guide

         http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

and the Tutorial on registration

http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/RegistrationMethodsOverview.pdf

Each one of the datasets may have different spacings along X, Y and Z,
and different from the other dataset. The datasets can also have
different number of pixels along each dimension.

Than being said....

Acquiring datasets with large inter-slice spacing is just
*BAD-ENGINEERING* ...  very very bad engineering.

Doing this is to let Claude Shannon die in vain,
(along with his sampling theorem).

The practice of acquiring datasets with hight in-plane resolution
and large inter-slice spacing is a bad legacy from the tendency of
clinicians to still look at the datasets slice by slice and fool
themselves with the illusion that the dataset looks great.

Each member of the medical image processing community has the
moral responsibility of educating her/his fellow clinicians on
how bad is to acquire dataset in such poor configurations.
The easiest way to provide that education is to show them how
bad a dataset look like when viewed in an orthogonal view, where
the pixels have anisotropic ratios of 10:1.