[Insight-users] 3D image registration

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Fri Sep 2 11:18:19 EDT 2005

Regsitration in ITK consists of 4 components:
-metric
-transform
-optimizer
-Interpolator

Given that the transform is specified in physical co-ordinates (
accounts for pixel spacing ), you could try 3D registration on thick
slice data as well. Be sure to use a decent interpolator. ( certainly
not Nearest neighbor ).

The choice of the the transform is entirely up to your study depending
on whether you anticipate purely rigid misalignments, pure translations,
rotations + translations,  deformations. There are a variety of
transforms for each of them.

If you are registering MR-MR images, you could use a MeanSquares metric
coupled with a Gradient Descent optimzer. If you are registering MR-CT
you could try one of the Mutual Information metrics. The GradientDescent
optimizers are susceptible to noisy images.  You might consider
smoothing the MR images prior to registration.

-karthik