[Insight-users] Versor3DRegistration and the masks of meanSquareMetric

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Thu Sep 22 14:51:22 EDT 2005

Martin Urschler wrote:

> Karthik,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
> Concerning the VersorRigid3DTransform:
>
> If I have two images with rigidly transformed anatomical structures
> and I don't know the rotation center of the transformation (I only
> know the center of mass from the CenteredTransformInitializer, which
> is definitely not the desired rotation center) then the
> versorRigid3DOptimizer will lead me to a local minimum of transform
> parameters that is still around the same rotation center? If this is
> the case then this transform is only useful for me for small rotations
> which might be approximated as a translation, right?
>
> In this case, wouldn't it be useful to write a
> CenteredVersorRigid3DTransform, that optimizes the rotation center as
> well? Is this already planned? I could try it if you could point me to
> some more thorough explanations of the Centered vs. NotCentered
> transforms...

I may be wrong here, but is there any reason to optimize both the center
and the translation ...

For the VersorRigid3DTransform which may be re-written as

p' = R(p-C) + C + T = Rp +  C(I-R) + T

If you were to optimize just R and T and specify a default center, you
should still be able to arrive at an equivalent translation that rotates
about any other center, if the optimizer does a good job.