[Insight-users] Versor3DRegistration and the masks of meanSquareMetric

Martin Urschler martin at urschler.info
Fri Sep 23 11:19:02 EDT 2005

> I may be wrong here, but is there any reason to optimize both the center
> and the translation ...
>
> For the VersorRigid3DTransform which may be re-written as
>
> p' = R(p-C) + C + T = Rp +  C(I-R) + T
>
> If you were to optimize just R and T and specify a default center, you
> should still be able to arrive at an equivalent translation that rotates
> about any other center, if the optimizer does a good job.

I see your argument and basically agree with it. But thinking about that
I ask myself why there exist Euler3DTransform and
CenteredEuler3DTransform separately. The latter one explicitly take the
center of rotation as optimization parameters as well, right? Since
AffineTransforms (or some of the others for which Centered versions
exist) are derived from MatrixOffsetBaseTransform (defining the same
basic behaviour VersorRigid3DTransform is showing), what are the
Centered versions good for in addition? Or am I mixing up something here?

regards,
Martin