[Insight-users] Jumps or spikes in metric values

Steven Boyd skboyd at ucalgary.ca
Fri Sep 30 14:19:16 EDT 2005

Hello,

When tracking the registration metrics at each iteration, I see there
are periodic jumps in the metric value.  I'm using a gradient descent
optimizer, and testing with three different metrics: normalized
correlation, mattes mutual information and mean squares.

Am I correct to assume that these jumps are due to the changes in the
step size of the optimizer?  If so, why would a step size change lead to
a spike in the metric value?  Why are these spikes more prevalent with
the mean squares metric than the normalized correlation or mattes mutual
information metrics?

A sample plot of the metrics can be seen here:

http://www.enme.ucalgary.ca/~skboyd/download/data/Metrics.jpg

Regards,

Steve