[Insight-users] Slice location question

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Wed Apr 12 15:14:58 EDT 2006

xiran wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have two questions about slice locations of Dicom series that mystify
> me for a while.
> 1.
> When using itkImageSeriesReader, files in a directory can be packed into
> a single volume. If the distance between slices is constant,
> SetSpacing will be fine. If the distances between neigbouring slices are
> variational, how should I assign distance information to the volume?

I am very surprised but about that. Could you tell us what modality are
you using ? This is highly unusual. Are you sure that you are taking to
neighbooring slices ? Be carefull that filesname do not usually
represent the order of the slices. Also make sure that you are indeed in
the same series/study.

> 2.
> When Dicom files in a directory are packed into a volume, what method I
> should adopt to extract a single slice along Z direction for displaying
> purpose with slice location attached? [I have read chapter 11 about
> iterators, but I still find no way]

I believe you can use something as simple as itk::ExtractImageFilter.

HTH
Mathieu