[Insight-users] WrapITK python bindings and GradientAnisotropicDiffusion with 3D float input

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 18 13:00:17 EDT 2006

> We are in the way of breaking the current modules (ITKCommonA,
> ITKCommonA, ITKBasicFiltersA, ...) in more modules which will group
> classes in a better way. The user will be able to build only the
> relevent subpart of WrapITK for his need. He will be able to load
> only a consistent subpart, etc.
> Given the early stage of development, I don't think we will keep
> the old modules content, so we will break your code here, and so I
> would not recommend you to use the submodules :-/
> Zach, what do you think of this backward compatibility problem ?

Hmm. I think that at least for now (WrapITK is just an InsightJournal
article) we can't worry too much about backward compatibility on this
point. Getting the needed functionality is more important.

We *could* make the sub-modules strictly follow the current
hierarchy, so that ITKBasicFiltersA will just import all of the sub-
modules that it contains. This would solve the backwards
compatibility issue, but at the expense of having less-good groupings
of filters into various modules. (E.g. morphological filters aren't
all in BasicFiltersA or B or C.) I think we should work on separating
the modules out, and for the time being accept some slight code
breakage.

Any thoughts?

Zach