[Insight-users] regarding Marching Cubes algorithm: how to classify the different 256 cases?

Xuelin Cui xuelin at hawaii.edu
Thu Apr 20 23:36:39 EDT 2006

Hey all:

I am currently implementing an algorithm that is similar to Marching Cubes
for voxel volume computation.

Suppose I have the intensity of each vertex out of the all 8 voxels, and
more I have the isovalue. Then it can be decide that which vertex should be
in/out of the isosurface(suppose the isovalue is in between of the range of
vertex intensity interval.).

But when I was developing the program I found it is really hard to classify
different input data into the uniquely defined 15 cases in Marching Cubes,
according to symmetry and reversion. E.g. there are 2 vertices with higher
intensity in the isosurface. And these 2 vertices are diagonally opposite on
the same surface of a cube. There could be 12 cases like that. So it is hard
to judge.

Could any one please, who would tell us how to group different input data in
to the 15 Marching Cubes case? If there are some algorithm for that. C/C++
code is preferred.

Thanks a lot

Xuelin

Xuelin Cui