[Insight-users] LBFGS vs LBFGSB

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Apr 29 20:03:58 EDT 2006

Hi Martin,

Thanks for pointing this out.

You are right, the comment in the Example (and therefore in the
ITK Software Guide) is not correct.

The actual reason why the LBFGSB optimizer was used here instead
of the LBFGS optimizer is that several users reported having
trouble with the example when they provided as input the same image
as the Fixed image and Moving image.  In other words, when they
started the registration process by being already at the optimal
value.

It seems that the that implementation of LBFGS in VNL does not
consider that possibility that the optimizer may be started in
the location of the optimal value in the parametric space.

The comment has now been corrected in the CVS version of the
example. In this way it will be fixed for the next edition of
the ITK Software Guide.

Please let us know if you find any other problems,