[Insight-users] LBFGS vs LBFGSB

Martin Urschler martin at urschler.info
Thu Apr 20 09:05:38 EDT 2006

hi,

can anybody explain me the difference between the two limited memory
BFGS optimization methods which are implemented in the toolkit?
itkLBFGSOptimizer
itkLBFGSBOptimizer

I understand that the LBFGSB version lets the user specify constraints
on the unknowns, however the deformable bspline registration example
DeformableRegistration7 argues that "the LBFGSB algorithm is more
appropriate for performing optimization in a parametric spaces of higher
dimensions"
I don't see why this is true, IMHO both algorithms are useful for
parameter spaces of higher dimensions, since both should be implemented
in a "limited-memory" way (that's what the L is for, right?)
So, how to choose between them? What I find especially interesting in
DeformableRegistration7 is that the bounds for LBFGSB are set up in a
way that they will be ignored during the optimization, therefore
essentially reducing LBFGSB to an LBFGS (with some additional storage
requirement due to the more complicated implementation). I'm a little
confused with this issue.

regards,
Martin

--
Martin Urschler
TU Graz - Institute for Computer Graphics & Vision