[Insight-users] Image or Mesh to Tubes

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Tue Aug 1 09:57:11 EDT 2006

I've been working with confocal images of neurons. It strikes me that
the tube spatial object might be the best representation for the
dendritic tree.

Center-lines and radii seem more memory efficient than a full surface
mesh for something that's tube-like.

The representation seems very similar to the representation in Neuron
( http://www.neuron.yale.edu/neuron/ ) so conversion might be possible
allowing for simulations.

The idea of children might allow for studying the branching pattern more
directly than does the surface mesh.

What I do not see is any way to automatically place tubes based on image
or mesh data. Is anybody working on automatically placing tubes?