[Insight-users] Image or Mesh to Tubes

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Aug 2 07:22:44 EDT 2006

Hi Kevin,

You are right,

TubeSpatial objects can provide a natural representation for
dentrites in neurons, and it will be more efficient and meaningful
than a mesh around the surface.

You may want to get in touch with Julien Jomier and Stephen Aylward
(cc in this email). They developed most of the Spatial Objects hierarchy
in ITK, and they have been working in using the TubeSpatialObject for
representing vascular trees by doing Model-to-Image registration.

As you pointed out, the concept of children fits very naturally as
a representation of the branching partition in a tree structure.

For some background on Model-to-Image registration, you may want to
look at the final section of the Image Registration chapter in the
ITK Software Guide

       http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf