[Insight-users] Re: Image or Mesh to Tubes

Julien Jomier julien.jomier at kitware.com
Wed Aug 2 14:44:23 EDT 2006

Kevin,

In our case we have a predefined idea of the branching pattern since the
vasculature is segmented from the pre-operative data and then aligned.

In your experiment, do you think you can form a generic model of the
dendrites and fit that to your data in order to compare them?
The other option is to perform a segmentation task on each image and do
a model-to-model comparison. I'm not sure about the quality of your
images though. There are some tubular segmentation algorithms in ITK
(look at the itkCurvesLevelSetImageFilter) but none of them produces a
TubeSpatialObject as output and this will require some post-processing.

Registration has some advantages v.s. segmentation in the sense that it
establishes correspondences inherently (but it can also establish false
correspondences). Also registration is sometimes less sensitive to noise
and missing data.

Julien