[Insight-users] Re: Image or Mesh to Tubes

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Wed Aug 2 14:24:28 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 11:13 -0400, Julien Jomier wrote:
> Do you plan to use a rigid or deformable transformations?

I don't think we are far enough along that I can rule out either.

> Are you interested in model-to-image registration or do you investigate
> model-to-model registration as well?

I think I have to say both. The idea is to fit tubes onto the images,
and then to compare and contrast the produced models.

We have many 3D confocal images of electrically identified lobster STG
neurons that were injected with a fluorescent die. So we know the cell
that appears in each image by name. So far we don't have models for what
the cells look like, other than "The dendrites look like branching
trees." In fact the present idea is that the branching pattern is not
genetically determined and so it is totally random. We suspect that this
is not really true and we should be able to find something that
distinguishes them.

> In our approach we first do a global rigid alignment then a piece-wise
> rigid alignment of each branch starting from the trunk, then we perform
> a fully deformable registration.

Do you have a predefined idea of what the branching pattern looks like?

> More information can be found about in these papers:
>
> Aylward S, Jomier J, Weeks S, Bullitt E, "Registration of Vascular
> Images," International Journal of Computer Vision, March 2003, pages 15

I can get this one and I'll give it a read.

> Jomier J, Aylward S, "Rigid and Deformable Vasculature-to-Image
> Registration: A Hierarchical Approach", MICCAI 2004

I can't get this one.