[Insight-users] Threshold Level Set Segmentation Example

Kashigar, Aidin (GE Healthcare) Aidin.Kashigar at ge.com
Fri Aug 11 09:59:35 EDT 2006

Hello all,

I have a question about the example provided for
ThresholdSegmentationLevelSetImageFilter. The exmaple uses the result of
a Fast Marching filter for the seed image of the Threshold Level Set
segmentaiton filter. The Fast Marching filter has a speed constant of 1
and is therefore just an approximate distance function from the seed
points.

What I don't understand is the reason behind using Fast Marching for the
seed image. Why is it not sufficient to send in a binary image of the
seed points as the seed image? If only the seed points are required for
the filter, can I not set the stopping value for the Fast Marching to 1
and get the same result for the segmentation?

- Aidin