[Insight-users] 3 image registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Aug 20 18:24:32 EDT 2006

Hi Niels,

I agree with Torsten in that probably the best way to go is for you
to create a new ImageToImageMetric that internally contains two
instances of the MutualInformationImageToImageMetric, and computes
the GetValue() as the sum of the GetValues returned by each one of
these internal instances.

Your intuition is probably correct in that a 3D Joint Histogram is
the theoretically correct way of implementing this problem, but that
will require a major programming effort on your part.

If you decide to go that way, you probably will find easier to manually
create the Joint histogram by following the examples in

         Insight/Examples/Statistics/
                     ImageMutualInformation1.cxx
                     ImageToListAdaptor.cxx

Keep in mind that Torsten's suggestion will be much easier to implement.