[Insight-users] BSpline Deformable Registration Error

Matt Robert matt.roberto at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 25 17:15:54 EDT 2006

Hi,

I used example DeformableRegistration4 to register two images. It works
perfectly well and gives good results while reading images from disk.

I tried extracting two slices from two volumes and used the code given in
DeformableRegistration4 to register them but it gives the following error.
All the parameter and initialization values are same as in example.

If I save these two slices on disk and use the example, then it works.

Initial Parameters =
[0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
0, 0
, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
0,
0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
0, 0,
 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
0, 0
, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]

Starting Registration
 F = 0.00143433, GNORM = 0
   I   NFN    FUNC        GNORM       STEPLENGTH
THE SEARCH DIRECTION IS NOT A DESCENT DIRECTIONIFLAG= -1. LINE SEARCH
FAILED. SE
E DOCUMENTATION OF ROUTINE MCSRCH ERROR RETURN  OF LINE SEARCH: INFO=0
POSSIBLE
CAUSES: FUNCTION OR GRADIENT ARE  INCORRECT OR INCORRECT
TOLERANCESvnl_lbfgs: **
 EEEK **
ExceptionObject caught !

itk::ExceptionObject (0137F814)
Location: "unknown"
File: \itksrc\Code\Numerics\itkLBFGSOpt
imizer.cxx
Line: 265
optimization

In VS 6.0, I used quick watch and it showed that in fixed and moving images,
the m_Direction field was different for both images, one was [(1 , 0),(1,0)]
the other was [(1,0),(0,1)]. To resolve this problem I created two empty
images and copied data from previous ones using iterators, but still same
error.

Matt