[Insight-users] Jacobian determinant image of the deformation field

Stefan Klein stefan at isi.uu.nl
Mon Aug 28 10:19:31 EDT 2006

I sent an email but I didn't see it appear on the mailing list, so I send
it again. Excuses if you got it twice:

To: "Minjie Wu" <minjiewu at gmail.com>, insight-users at itk.org
Subject: Re: [Insight-users] Jacobian determinant image of the deformation
field

Hi Minjie,

You're right I think. I think the
itkDeformationFieldJacobianDeterminantFilter manual page is wrong.

T(x) = transformation
u(x) = deformation field
I = Identity matrix

T(x) = x + u(x)
jacobian of T = dT/dx = I + du/dx

the manual page claims that det[ dT/dx ] = 1 + det[ du/dx ]

but:

det[ dT/dx ] = det[ I + du/dx ]

does not in general equal det[ I ] + det[ du/dx ]    (which does equal 1 +
det[ du/dx ] )

you can try it for a 2d matrix:
a b
c d
determinant = ad - bc

add identity matrix I:
a+1 b
c     d+1
determinant = (a+1)(d+1) - bc = ad +1 + d+ a - bc  which obviously does not
equal ad-bc+1

Regards,
Stefan