[Insight-users] Errors while reading DICOM time series (4D) using DicomSeriesReadImageWrite2

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jan 11 09:43:46 EST 2006

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your detailed message.

1) The order of the parameters in DicomSeriesReadImageWrite2
    seem to be correct. The are:

           1. Directory where your dicom files are
           2. Filename of the image to be used as output
           3. Series ID of the DICOM image to read

    Could you please give use more details on how you arrived
    to the conclusion that parameters (2) and (3) were swapped ?

2) It is not surprising that the reader have problems loading
    your 4D dataset.  The message about slices having repeated
    positions is to be expected, because, presumably the acquisition
    protocol is such that for every position in the table, your
    scanner acquired N time points.

    The DICOM filename generator goes through the list of files
    in the directory and sort them out based on the table position.
    Given that you have the N timepoints, the sorting algorithm
    will find N image with the same table position.

    Please read the following message
    sent to the list on May 2004:

     http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2004-May/008674.html

     You probably should contact sachin and kindly request from him
     his Dicom File generation class.

     It would be great if Sachin find interesting to write a short
     paper to the Insight Journal, describing the use of his new
     class, and contributing the code.  In this way, we could include
     his class in a future release of ITK.

3)  Also, please note that if you want to load a time series,
     you should instantiate your image as a 4D image. See details
     on the following message.

     http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2004-May/008702.html

4)  Remember that you can search the archives of the users list
     with Google by using the following link:

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?as_sitesearch=www.itk.org&as_epq=insight%2Dusers