[Insight-users] deformable registration in binary image

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Jan 16 10:28:28 EST 2006

Hi Roger,

Your modifications to the code seem to be reasonable.

The main difference between the examples

      DeformableRegistration7

and

      DeformableRegistration8

is that the first one is intended for images of the
same modality, while the second is intended for images
of different modality.

Given that you replaced the Metric with the MatchCardinality
metric, then there is no major difference left between the
two examples.

I'm not sure about the problem you find with the
infinity norm of the projected gradient,.. but if
you are using the LBFGSB optimizer, it is known
that it has some issues if you start it on a local
minimum (maximum), in other words, if you start the
optimization problem in a place where the derivative
of the metric is null, then the optimizer can not
complete the first iteration.

Please give us more details on how you are initializing
the Transform, and how similar the Fixed and Moving
images are.