[Insight-users] GDCM update / JPEG2000 (OpenJPEG)

Peter Cech pcech at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Tue Jan 17 15:00:32 EST 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 13:28:58 -0500, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I have a minor technical issue. Currently GDCM uses the
> 	(patched)jpeg from the Utilities directory to be able to decompress JPEG
> lossy and lossless file. I was asked to update gdcm 1.0 to gdcm 1.2. In
> gdcm 1.2 we have added support for JPEG2000 encoded file. This is for now
> very rare IMHO. So my question is:
>
> - Do I add support for JPEG2000 in ITK, knowing that it will add a new
> library to ITK (~373k line of code). Code for the library can be found
> at http://www.openjpeg.org (*)

One might spend quite a lot of time when looking for workarounds just to
import a data in specific format into an application, therefore I'm all
for broader import support.

> - If yes, do I make it an available library just like png or tiff, or do
> I keep it encapsulated into GDCM ?

I would prefer it as a library. Eventually somebody will make an IO
class for .j2k files and would need to move it out of GDCM anyway.

Regards,
Peter Cech