[Insight-users] Re: [Insight-developers] GDCM update / JPEG2000 (OpenJPEG)

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Tue Jan 17 14:09:31 EST 2006

Sorry I was not clear enough. So yes adding support for JPEG2000 image
would require adding a full new JPEG2000 library (which does not deal at
all with the old style JPEG library from IJG). For more info please go
to http://www.openjpeg.org

Disk space (openjpeg 1.0):
$ du -sk libopenjpeg
returns 545k (373k was for the old 0.97 openjpeg lib, sorry).

As for the maintenance, I would say this is just as troublesome as the
JPEG library. The authors of the library recently updated the library to
1.0 so effectively it means this is a fairly new library. I believe all
the internals are there at least for the limited purpose I needed in GDCM.

Anyway Antonin, François-Olivier or Hervé could you comment on the
maintenance of OpenJPEG. What are the current tasks being done on
OpenJPEG, is the API suppose to change any time soon ? How about
streaming support (JPEG stream is not contiguous(*)) ?

As for the option to use externally I'd say -as usual- this is very
dangerous and it will make us more work to support all the different
version. Also OpenJPEG is not available in any Linux distro -as far as I
can tell- so I don't see yet the need to support external library.

Mathieu
(*) This is the only remarks I had about openjpeg. It assumes JPEG
stream is continuous, which is not always true for us. As a side note,
Jasper made also the same assumption.