[Insight-users] segmentation of the left ventricular chamber in echo

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jan 18 08:24:25 EST 2006

Hi Andrea,

There are no methods in ITK that are specifically
intended for segmenting cardiac structures.

There are however, many groups that will benefit
from having such methods available.

Most of the published methods use deformable models,
in particular because cardiac images are usually
showing only parts of the heart, and also tend to
be very noisy.

The two methods that seems to be suitable for this
problem are:

    1) Level Sets
    2) Deformable models (with meshes)

You may want to try the following two applications
that are distributed with InsightApplications

    1) SNAP: a GUI-based tool for level set segmentation
             that allows you to provide a manual segmentation
             as initialization)

    2) DeformableModelSimplexMesh: a GUI-based application
             that allows you to create a SimplexMesh and let
             it evolve under forces driven from your images
             and internal forces that introduce regularization.

Another method that may be a good fit for cardiac segmentation
is to actually build a geometrical cardiac model using itk
SpatialObjects, and then do segmentation by fitting those
models to cardiac images from specific patients. You will find
a description of SpatialObjects in the ITK Software Guide

           http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

(in the Model to Image registration section).

    Please let us know if you have further questions,