IGSTK and FLTK (was Re: [Insight-users] Building error for Insightapplication 2.4.0.releated to FLTK 1.1.6?)

Arash Jahangir arash at vije.ca
Fri Jan 20 12:42:24 EST 2006

Hi Luis,

> The main reason why we have been using FLTK for the
> demo applications in ITK is that FLTK is compact,
> minimalistic, and have a LGPL modified license that
> allow us to do static linkage without that making
> our applications to be considered "derivative work".

Thanks for the info.

> It is hard to say that development with FLTK is easier
> than with wxWidgets. GUI discussions are like religious
> wars: they are all pointless. So we avoid them at any price.

I suppose this could be so.  I did not mean to start a religious debate
here.

> When somebody claims that a GUI  X is better than GUI Y,
> we smile, tap them in the shoulder, and wish them the
> best luck with GUI X.

I agree.  "Better" is a very subjective and perhaps loaded word.  This is
true for just about every IT related subject.

I was more hoping along the lines of more specific and/or objective feedback
such as RAD tools, ease of integration with other development tools,
portability issues, frequency of updates, etc, rather than which one is
"better".

But I understand that this discussion may start a flame war.  So I
appreciate it if people can email me personally (rather than the list) about
their experience with the two and let me know why they chose one platform
over the other.

regards,
Arash