[Insight-users] Question on MHD format

Tim Soper tim_d_soper at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 18:07:05 EST 2006

Hi,
   I intersted in finding a way to reduce the space
taken up on my hard drive by a number of raw data
files roughly 512^3 in size. I find that I am making
several images that are both clipped versions of the
original large image as well as creating segmented
images of these original images for different
applications.
   I would like to keep these large images, but I am
wondering if there is a way to specify a desired
region of an image through some sort of MetaImage
header tag. For example, if I wanted just a clipped
portion of my original image, say 256^3 in size, can I
simply make a new header file that specifies that
sub-region of the original image, but referencing the
same large ElementDataFile? This would preclude
creation of multiple data files with redundant data.
   Also, It would be convenient if rather than
creating new images of segmented regions of my
original image, I could add another raw data file
reference to the header that contained an image mask
of the segmented regions rather than rewriting the
same image data again. I have looked through the MHD
file formats and there doesn't appear to be any tags
that suit this function.
Please let me know if this is possible.

Tim