[Insight-users] problem with CellularSegmentation

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Jan 26 14:51:38 EST 2006

Hi Pavel,

Here is the simplest demo of the CellularSegmentation application.

1) run the application

2) Click on the "Load Image" button

3) Select the image: Insight/Examples/Data/BrainProtonDensitySlice.png
    (the image should appear on the window).

4) Click with the mouse on the ventricles (the bright areas close to
    the center of the brain). A green circle should be left at the
    point where you clicked.

5) Click on the "Play" button.

6) At this point the bacteria will start reproducing on the image,
    and in a matter of seconds they should have filled the ventricles.

7) You can get a view of the cells connections by selecting
    "Display: Real Neighbors" instead of the default "Cell Walls.

8) At any point you can pause the cells and change the Low and High
    threshold values.

9) You can restart the colony by clicking on the "X" button.

Please let us know if you find any problem running this minimal demo.

Your idea of creating niches with different populations of cells
is great. A similar concept is used in level sets and it is commonly
termed as multi-phase level sets.  This behavior will be very natural
on Cellular Algorithms. It will be great if we implement this as a
gene network first, so then you can simply load pre-engineered genomes
on the cells and don't have to do any further code modifications on
them. Down the line we could have Evolutionary Algorithms that train
those pre-engineered genomes, just as Biologists are doing today with
Directed-Evolution.

Short range cell-cell communication is already possible, by using the
neighbor coonections that you will see when you run the application.

We will be happy to give you some hints on how to implement your idea
of multiple cellular populations. Just let us know.

BTW, Note that these algorithms extend naturally to N-Dimensions.
      We just need to modify the template argument of the cells.
      The main changes will be on the visualization and the GUI.