[Insight-users] Weird result from Point Set Registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Jan 26 20:48:33 EST 2006

Hi Junyi,

You *must* initialize the transform to a value closer
to the real misalignment between the two point sets.

The geometrical arrangement of points that you have
is particularly prone to mis-correspondance between
the points.

As you probably know, pointset-to-pointset registration
is actually trying two solve to separate but related
problems:

           1) Point correspondance
           2) Registration

If you don't initialize the Transform to a value closer
to the real mis-alignment, then the point will probably
find wrong correspondances that satisfy a local minimum
in the sum of squared distances.